Friday, March 7, 2008

Spring is here!

The weather is warming up here. While there's still a bit of a chill in the air, spring has definitely arrived! I love March! I can honestly say it's my favorite month of the year. I love seeing all the flowers bloom.
I feel like I'm walking in an Alice in Wonderland garden. Another reason I have for loving March is because it's my birthday month! My birthday was on March 1st. I had a party/art show. All of my closest friends contributed something. I, of course, knitted mine.
I saw the wall hangings that Mary Walker Philips did in the book "Knitting America", and thought they were so beautiful I wanted to do one of my own. She made hers out of linen, so I thought that would be the best fiber for mine. One of the things I love about knitted lace is the contrast between open space (blanks) and the fullness of the plain knit segments. I thought I would showcase all this in my art piece. I used black because I felt that would be the best color to highlight the graphic quality of lace knitting.
Yarn: Louet Euroflax Linen Sport (275 yds.) - 1 ball
Needles: size 2 1/2(3mm) addis
Pattern: my own
I called my piece "Blanks, Transports, the Dark", after a chapter from "The Western Canon" by Harold Bloom on the poet Emily Dickinson. I felt like the title really fitted the art piece well , with its blanks (the yarnover eyelets), transports (the way the lace pattern squiggles up the piece) and dark (the darkness of the stockinette portions).

This art piece made my birthday an extra special one this year!

No comments: