Tuesday, February 26, 2008

FO: Boatneck Bluebell

I love red. It's probably the color that I most relate to. I've been wanting to create some kind of homage to this color for a long time, and I think I've finally found a fitting way to pay tribute.


Pattern: Boatneck Bluebell from Fitted Knits


Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash in Col. no. 893, 6 balls


Needles: Size 6 (4mm) Addis for body and size 5s for edgings


Obviously, this is a Boatneck Bluebell in spirit only. I loved the design, and knew I had found the perfect yarn and color for it, but I didn't like certain elements of the design, specifically the bell sleeves. I think the cropped, fitted sleeves that my version has makes it look more Marilyn Monroe-ish. I had to add more rows to all the individual sections to make it fit my body, especially the bottom, flared-out part. I also did all the edgings in garter stitch instead of the reverse stockinette welts the original has at the bottom of the sweater and sleeves. I thought they added way too much bulk in areas that I really don't need bulk at. I did all the edgings in garter st instead, and used smaller needles for them, since on the same size as the body, the edgings looked huge and floppy. (I actually ended up taking out the yoke and starting over the first time I tried this sweater because of that.)
This pattern was really fun and relaxing to do. All those knit-purl patterns were exactly what I need right now. This is the first top-down sweater that I've tried, and I really enjoyed it. They're so much easier to fit to your body! I also love wearing this sweater, more importantly. It projects such wonderful energy! It's the perfect thing to wear on a beautiful day like today was!

2 comments:

Lolly said...

it looks wonderful on you!
beautiful work :)

AussieKnitGirl said...

Nadia,
I absolutely love this sweater! You were wearing it at the shop on Saturday, huh?
You do such great work!
Suzanne