Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Greens and Blues

I've noticed greens and blues are the most popular color choices for knitters (and people in general, I'm sure). I know that when I worked at a yarn store, those were the colors that were picked most often. Yarn companies almost always make sure to have more of a selection of those colors than any others. Me, I like all kinds of colors, but in the last month I have really had a chance to focus on greens and blues and think about how much I like them. First, green:
Pattern: Green Gable by Sarah and Rachel of Zephyr Style
Yarn: Brown Sheep Cotton Fleece in color Oriental Jade, about 2.25 skeins
Needle size 6 (4mm)
Started - June 11
Finished - June 22
Mods: Added length to stockinette portion, added length to ribbing, worked one row of slip stitch around neckline, added hip increases.

I am pretty darn happy with this top! One of the great things about it, though, is the color. Jade is one of my favorite stones, and also one of my favorite colors. It's such a comforting color! This pattern was really amazing. I love top-down patterns so much! I really want to do Rusted Root now.

The next color I worked with was blue. Blue is a really special color for me. I always feel at home with blue. It's the color that I most identify with (although not necessarily my favorite - I don't think I could pick just one favorite color). That explains one of the reasons that I really love this top - Orangina! (or maybe Bluegina) Pattern : Orangina by Stefanie Japel for Glampyre Knits
Yarn: Aslan Trends Glaciar Del Cielo, 100% cotton
Needles - size 3 (3.25mm)
Mods: worked front and back over 67 sts each to compensate for bigger gauge, added about five inches to the lace part.

This color reminds me of blueberries. There's something so soothing about the color.... The top itself is wonderful to wear, but a little more boring to make than I had anticipated - no shaping, just a simple, four-row lace repeat. At least it went by fairly quickly!


Now, I'm taking a break from greens and blues, and working with ... pink! I'm making Liesl by Ysolda Teague. I'm pretty excited about this - hopefully it means I can finish it soon!

1 comment:

Smitten Knitten said...

Both beautiful! I love the green gables tee!